Sunday, June 14, 2015

Week 89 (June 8, 2015)

Laura and Escarlet Lopez were baptized!!

Well this week was insane. It was full of crazy crazy things.

To start off, Elder Copling and I are now working together on an intense workout program in the mornings and a diet. It’s been good for me. We are definitely trying to get in shape again!

My companion had a training for new missionaries this week, which meant that he had to spend a day and a half in Concepcion. On Wednesday while he was gone, I got to work with the other elders that work on the other side of the sector, Elder Smoot and Copling. We had a good day and saw some awesome things. At the start we divided because another member accompanied Elder Smoot so Elder Copling and I went to town in my sector. We went to a far little neighborhood way out on a hill and the first door we knocked on let us in and we had a great short lesson. We invited her to church and to be baptized and she accepted. Her name is Bernarda. She ended up in tears because she said that she needed help in that very moment and we just showed up.

We went down the street talking to more people and we felt like we should knock on another door. Turns out the man let us in as well. The dad, Juan, was playing card games with his step son named Alexis. We taught them and invited them to baptism and church. They weren’t so willing to accept the commitments but still they agreed to listen to us some more. We went on to the other sector after that and closed out the day very well.

This week was really busy with the preparation for the baptisms. On Thursday we had a mini cambio with my zone leader Elder Withers. We had our 18 year old friend Luis Duran accompany us throughout the day. Elder Withers was able to get the baptismal interviews all done, while Luis and I went and contacted a reference that Laura gave us and we ended up teaching that whole family. They were awesome. They day finished out great and we were stoked to see everything work out. (Turns out we went to the family on Sunday to visit them again, and the dad came out and said he appreciated the visit but he wants nothing to do with the Mormons and that he is evangelical and all the rest of the stuff people always say..... so we lost that family but oh well... It’s how it goes...)

We planned the baptism with the ward mission leader the day after and even though all of the planning was a bit rushed we felt like it was going to turn out alright.

During the week we worked with many people and tried to help them get over not wanting to come to church due to their frustration with the leadership here. Many people simply want to just give up. We are pushing people on to just keep going. Just to keep trying.



We got to Saturday and all was well. The youth had an activity with selling completos and they sold over 240 completos... Oh man you should have seen the mountain of those heavenly hot dogs... It was painful only because we were fasting and I couldn’t eat the ones I had previously ordered weeks before... bummer.

After the activity we had the baptism. It was beautiful. It was the second time I had gotten into the font in my mission. Laura and Escarlet were baptized. I baptized Laura and my comp baptized Escarlet. They were my 7th and 8th baptisms. I love this family and so excited to see the kids baptized.

We had some issues in the week with some stuff in the branch but we know that all will get better. I have faith that I can really have an impact on this place and I can get the wheels spinning! I have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ who is mighty to transform. I know that things will get better.  We ended up finding 6 new investigators and having 2 baptisms.... What a week. It was one I will never forget!!!!

Thank you all for your love and concern. I look forward to seeing you all. I look forward to moving onward and trying my best in these last few transfers of my mission.

The gospel is true. Nothing else brings such peace, and comfort. Nothing is so worth it.

Have a great week! I love you all!


Elder Haws

Elders Haws and Duarte, Mojado!  (soaking wet)

Elders Copling and Haws

Talcahuano




Elders Haws and Copling

No comments:

Post a Comment