Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Week 75

Another week down! My time is really going quick here in Concé.

Here’s how the week went.

Mini cambios and finding some more people:

I had a mini cambio with Elder Colque from Bolivia on Tuesday and it went pretty well. We found a lot of futures and were able to get to know a lot of less actives. Elder Colque is on his last cambio and is headed home in 3 weeks. We had a good day together and talked about many missionary experiences.


Weather and apparent lightning:

During the night of the mini cambio there was an apparent thunderstorm. AND I SLEPT THROUGH IT!  I have been waiting all of my mission to see a lightning bolt to no avail. The one night that there is a storm I’m so dead tired that I miss it. So sad.

The weather has been nice this week. You can definitely feel the chilly (haha… Chile…) winds in the late afternoon, they are starting to come stronger and colder. Fall is in the air.  During the day it feels like the perfect temperature.


The 4 missionaries of Concé:

Oh man. We 4 missionaries are having a real good time. I haven’t been in a house that has gotten along so well. We are all good friends. Elder Letelier, Castro, Flores and I constantly laugh. We are a hilarious group if I do say so myself.


Rocking a talent show, folk style:

So the Laguna Redonda ward who is sharing the chapel with us because theirs is under construction hosted a talent show on Friday. Like 2 weeks ago we decided we were going to take a swing at it. Elder Castro and I are pretty musical so we printed off the sheet music for the spirit of god and we made a little arrangement for the talent show. It turned out awesome. Being up on stage was crazy. I haven’t played for people like that for AGES. I was so nervous. But it turned out good.


Stake Conference:

We had stake conference this weekend. It turned out well. Elder Nuñez an area seventy from Santiago came down and presided at the meeting. There were some great talks, loud children, and the microphone was really quiet but it all went well. The talks were mostly based on temples and families.

 Plaza de Tribunales de Justicia

Prayers answered:

As we were leaving from the Saturday session we were walking home in the dark downtown streets. We came up to one of the biggest plazas here; the ‘’plaza de tribunales de justicia.’’  We were walking down the far end and all of a sudden I hear, ‘’Elder!’’ I turn and there is one of Hermana Yolanda’s daughters. Hermana Yolanda is one of the less actives that we have been working with.  She is older so her daughter is like 40 something years old. She came up and greeted us and we started talking. For some reason we got on the subject about her mom. She said that she had passed by recently and had had an interesting conversation with her mom. For a while now Yolanda hasn’t had a fully functioning cable and antenna to her TV so she often feels lonely and doesn’t have much help most of the time because there are some complicated family situations and hard things like that.  She began to explain, ‘’I was talking with my mother and she said that she needed help in this last week to replace the TV cable and antenna and she didn’t have the means necessary to do that. Suddenly (the other daughter) showed up and helped my mom get it all fixed. Afterward Yolanda said that it wasn’t the blessing that her sister had helped set up the TV, but the simple, reverent, and humble prayers of Elder Haws praying for the blessings of temporal and spiritual things had helped her.’’

As she told me this story she began to tear up and I did as well.  She expressed her gratitude and began to disclose many terrible things that had happened in her life and reasons to why she had left the church and joined another.  She also told us about many other very difficult things that she had gone through.  I was touched. She said that she would always be grateful for the missionaries and expressed her still good but buried feelings towards the church. I expressed my love to her and her family and testified of the God’s love for her.  I guess we really never know of the simple and small things in our lives that make great things happen. I had no idea that my prayers to end lessons with Yolanda and her family had made such a big impact on this family. Unintentionally I had softened the hearts of a family. God works through mysterious and simple ways to bless people.  We just have to do what we need to and be in tune with the spirit so that we can help bless others.

Soon her Husband and child came by. As her son came she embraced him and said ‘’look son, Its Elder Haws!’’ and began to remind him of the times that they had been with Yolanda visiting while we passed by.  We ended the conversation and said our goodbyes and I, with teary eyes, walked reverently home.

Lessons of faith:

This week I studied a lot about doubt and faith. From stories of our Savior Jesus Christ to conference talks, I learned a lot about how we need to act without fear or doubt and remain calm keeping our faith and doing all that is necessary.

Elder Uchtdorf mentioned this in a talk a few conferences ago.

‘’Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters—my dear friends—please, first doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.8 We must never allow doubt to hold us prisoner and keep us from the divine love, peace, and gifts that come through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.’’


I also like these two experiences from the life of Jesus Christ.


We learn a lot about faith in the church. And it plays a huge part in our lives. I hope that we can all stand strong doubting our doubts and staying strong on the straight and narrow path so that we can reach our divine goals. Our savior Jesus Christ is always inviting us to act with a little more faith. I hope that we can all do so.

Thank you all for your great messages. I love the inspiration that I get week to week. I love you all so much. Make the most of this week!  Until the next.


 Elder Ethan Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment