Saturday, December 21, 2013

Week 3 (October 16, 2013)

Hola familia!  Its great to hear that you are all doing well.  I love hearing your stories and messages.  Its been a good week.  I’ve learned so much in seven days.  Today has been really nice going to the temple and all.  I did the whole thing in Spanish this time and I got a lot more out of it that I expected.  It’s a beautiful temple.  Its almost exactly like Jordan River inside and out, with a Mexican twinge to things.  Great experience.


I've never experienced the saying "days seem like weeks but weeks just turn into days" in this magnitude. Things are going by so fast and I cant believe how time can fly when you are constantly, constantly working. I've sure had hard times this week. Maestro Leon told us we weren't progressing fast enough this week so he pushed us really hard. Hermano Polo gave us some really great lessons and I've been really inspired by his ideas this week. In classes we are constantly role playing. By the end of the day, I am exhausted from acting as an investigator and speaking so much Spanish. 

Sunday was probably my favorite day this week. It was so incredibly spiritual and I learned so much. I feel like when I came here I felt like my testimony was like a fire burning inside of me. Just a nice subtle fire. Now, after every day, it feels like someone is just dumping and showering the fire with gasoline and everything flammable. I feel like my testimony has become a roaring inferno that I'm desperate to share. My understanding of the gospel has become so deep and it is being cemented into my being. The devotionals we have are incredible and  learn alot from them. this Sunday, President Pratt talked about the enabling and strengthening powers of the atonement. I took heed to that message and in my prayers I've been specifically asking for that enabling power. I testify that the atonement can do far more than wash away our sins. I have felt the enabling and strengthening from our Savior's atonement so strongly this week. I have overcome so many challenges this week through that. My smile still remains because of it. I am so grateful for the atonement. 

You've all been asking about my health and I haven't really responded to that so far. I've felt really good here until Saturday. On Saturday the sickness hit me like a train. I was not doing so hot. but I prayed so hard and through a miracle I was able to keep going while I was sick. I've seen so many miracles here already. Elder Thiel came here knowing not a single word of Spanish. He has been so stressed. But ever since that blessing we gave him. He has skyrocketed and has been able to learn so much. He is improved the most for sure. He shared his testimony on miracles last night during a district meeting. It was so powerful. There are truly angels on his right side and on his left helping him through. 

in our devotional on Sunday we heard about those two deaths. It was a very solemn moment. I promise i will never be more careful with my safety in my life than in these next two years. 

Its been a short but long three weeks. I've never been away from you guys this long. not even close. Its been hard, but its been a blessing to learn so much as well. I miss home, nice couches, carpet, good a/c, nice food, nice food, and a nice home cooked meal. How I miss your incredible home cooking Mom. I cant wait for the day I get to be with you guys again and eat a nice home cooked meal. 

Last night we got to watch a devotional at the provo MTC that was broadcast internationally. Dallin H. Oaks spoke, as well as his wife. He gave a great message on what makes our church the only true and living church on the earth. there was an opening number by the choir, and I saw Greg Peterson and AJ singing in it. it was so good to see some old friends. I've also talked to Elder Sheperd (Donnas nephew) quite a bit. hes an awesome guy.


Elder Kreiling and Duncan are joining me to go to Conce.  We are the only three elders, and then Hermana Paige, and Orchard are heading out too. 

The natives are constantly struggling with my name just as you foretold. I'm either elder ''aoouus'' or ''jaz''. Its pretty great. 

This week has been tough and I'm constantly creeping closer to speaking Spanish. I am constantly working and going as hard as I can. I know through the miracle of the atonement, I can do this through the Savior.


I ordered a sweet customized Mexican fútbol jersey with my name on it and everything last week and I'll get it this Friday. I'm stoked. 


this week we started playing a game called ''what are the odds?'' and we've had a really good time with that. basically, you set a challenge and the victim pics the odds like 1 out of 8 or 1 out of 15. It can only go to 15 and if your daring enough it can go to 1 in 3. Simutaneously you call out a number after you are counted off. If you say the same number you have to do it. Elder Fife has to ask for another haircut today after he got a horrible one last week. Elder Anderson has to do Elder Kreilings laundry today and the list goes on. Its a good source of fun. We've used it to even challenge each other to bear testimony to tons of people.


Its an ongoing joke about sleep talking here. all of us do it for some strange reason. Usually Elder Canny just says some Norwegion jibberish, Elder Kreiling Started drumming and said "PARTY ON'' last night, Elder Anderson grumbles, and I say weird things in Spanish like ''Hoy''. No idea why, but we get laughs out of that.

I check the weather widgets on the computer every day and I watch how cold Riverton is getting. Here its a constant high 70 degrees. never changes. its really hot here though, nothing cold about it..

We havent had too much trouble with the pesky little devils known as mosquitos after the war. they seem to be quite afraid, and with good reason.

I hope this week goes good for all of you guys. I sure miss you and love you. Try to have some fun, and enjoy the week. Im so grateful to be a representative of Jesus Christ, our Savior.

Yo se que Jesucristo vive, y dios es nuestro Padre Celestial. Estoy muy agradecido por la Expiacion y el evangelio de Jesucristo. Yo se que la iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los ultimos dias es verdadero.

Love as always,

Your Elder,
 Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment