Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week 33

This week was a bunch of baby steps for us. It is hard to put down all the things that happened. It was just a puzzle of a million tiny pieces. Not very much passed this week. We didn't see many things progress, and honestly it was a hard week all in all. So this week I'm going to write down just some major points that happened.

So to start the week off, we had a strong commitment to get our 140 contacts. Elder Price and I were determined to get that goal so that we could start finding more people. We worked and worked and worked throughout the week. It was the hardest week I’ve ever had for contacts. I’ve never had so many people reject me in my entire life. It was really hard to stay animated. That was our biggest challenge of the week I think, to stay animated. We worked and focused so hard on contacts we kind of developed tunnel vision.

Contacts have just been redefined in our mission. They only count when you talk to someone in the street or when you talk to someone first. Really you have to bring the message to them. Because they only count in this way, we have been focusing ourselves in only this aspect of finding people. We have left the other ways of finding people out. So while trying to find more people we are limited to finding in only one way. It is a newly learned lesson for us. We always have to find new ways of finding people. There is always a way to work, we just have to trust in our Heavenly Father and be led by the spirit.

We saw some mini miracles in Retiro this week. Even though nearly 75% of our set visits fell, we still made progress with animating the branch. We had some really cool visits with some member families. This week we kind of focused on them and lifting their spirits.

We had an activity for mother's day on Saturday. At first, as we were there at the church waiting for people to come, it looked like it had been for nothing. Right when it was about to start, there wasn't one Sister there that had been invited. But soon after they all started showing up. We ended up with a ton of families at the activity. We had 3 less actives show up that I thought I’d never see them near the church! It was a miracle! We had a short little devotional and we then went into the back room and had a HUGE cake. We had hilarious conversation and enjoyed the evening.

I want to share some ideas that I learned from my studies.

Here are the lyrics to the hymn ''Where Can I Turn For Peace?''

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

I love the message of Peace that the gospel brings. It is truly our source of peace in this life. I love the line, ''He answers privately, reaches my reaching. In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.'' I know that the Savior answers our prayers and knows us personally. He is the one who atoned for our sins and payed the debt. He is the author of our Salvation. If we trust in Him we will find that He will guide us.

But to really trust in the Savior, what do we need to do? It requires more than just a thought of reliance. In Doctrine and Covenants 59 the Savior says:

23 But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come.

24 I, the Lord, have spoken it, and the Spirit beareth record. Amen.

Through doing works of righteousness I know that we can gain that reward, which is peace in this life and for all eternity. I know that the Savior can help us with our trials. He is our Savior.

Matthew 11:
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

It is my testimony that when we have worries, and when we have fears, we have no reason to fear. Our Savior has overcome the world. When things don't work out and when everything seems to fall, we can go on and continue doing the things that he has commanded us to do. We will find peace in these things. ''There is peace in righteous doing.''

Thank you so much for your support. I love hearing your messages every week. I love hearing what is going on in your life and how everyone is doing. I love you guys so much. It was so hard to say goodbye to you guys Skype. I can’t believe how hard that was. Christmas is toooooooo far away. I love you guys more than you could ever know. I miss you guys tons. I hope you all a have an amazing week! I’ll talk to you guys in one week!!


Elder Ethan Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment