Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Week 32

Week 32!  Time is flying. 

Elder Price and I learned a lot this week. We are learning a lot about how to work this sector. We are taking  baby steps to turn this sector around.  We are trying to help with the needs of the members. We aren't progressing as I want with Investigators, but we are continuing to make progress with converts and less actives. 

We had rain this week which made the week really difficult. The Chileans like to hide inside their houses  when it rains. They just lock themselves up and there isn't anyone outside. That makes it really difficult for us missionaries. We have had figure out how we can work better with these setbacks. 

 There  hasn't been much change here. It is feeling pretty routine. I don't like it. I'm wanting to change the things that are done here. Lately there hasn't been any excitement whatsoever here in Retiro. All the members are disanimado (not enthusiastic) as well as us missionaries. We are feeling discouraged. I'm real tired of it. That is the biggest project that is going on right now, We are going to give it all we got and change attitudes around here. 

Monday,
We had a usual P-day and set up for the week. 
We went and had a meeting at our branch mission leaders house, Luis Ivan's. There, we planned a few activities that we would like to start. We discussed some ways we can involve the members in the church more throughout the week. We discussed the plans for an upcoming activity at the church on Friday. We planned to help a few member families understand the importance of missionary work. There we would teach them and inspire them on using their testimonies and understanding the simple doctrines that we share. We planned other various things and had a good visit.

Tuesday. 
We had a regular day. We tried to find some futures but it  didn't pan out. We mostly did contacts. We ran into hermana Miriam and helped her out by carrying some oil she was bringing to her house. She also brought us along to visit her mom and her brother. Her brother is actually interested in learning about the church and we are going to start teaching him with Miriam's help. 

Wednesday.
We had a really good zone class. Elder Rhodes and Froerer went over a few things that they received in their training in Concepción. For our practices for the class we went outside as a zone and saw how many contacts we could get in 10 minutes as a companionship. We came in 3rd place with 10 contacts. So close....

We had a rainy day and it really came down. We walked around and contacted as many people would stop. It was a wet day. 

Thursday.
It was a wet day again. We battled the rain all day and were out just trying to talk to people. We had a family home evening at Miriam´s and had sopaipillas. We had an incredible lesson and the spirit was so strong. We shared a powerful message about the Savior and we left high on the spirit. 
We decided later that night that we would try and contact a family of futures we met earlier in the week. We passed by their house and sure enough they let us in. They are great people. They just moved into Retiro about a month ago. We got to know them and made a great first impression. We really hit it off well. We were stoked. We werent able to share much of a message due to the restricted time but we shared enough doctrine that they became interested. 

Friday.
We contacted a lot of people and prepared for the activity that night. It was a regular day. no one really let us in. 

Soon enough it was time for the activity. We showed up but unfortunately the families didn't. It was pouring buckets of rain. The streets were all rivers. We were disapointed and we continued to work out in the Rain.

Saturday. 
We started a fast that afternoon. We prayed fervently for success.  We pleaded for something good to happen.  As soon as we went out to work we were able to visit a hermana who we haven't been able to visit for my entire 9 weeks here in Retiro. Her name is Tehualda. She's less active but willing to come back. So now we will start working with her. We visited the Saldaña family and had a good visit with a quick 'once' (snack). We went around visiting many members and felt a little better than we had this week. 

Sunday.
We had a nice church meeting. We didn't have many people show up. We didn't have any investigators either. We were disappointed. That afternoon we closed up with consejo de rama, or branch council meeting. We made some sweet plans to jump start the branch. We are very worried for the branch. It's in it's own little coma. We've got to wake it up. 

Today. 
We had a fun day and partly celebrated this 5 de Mayo at our Lider express in Parral (Walmart), we bought taco supplies and we had our own little fiesta. Its been pretty great. 
All in all, it was pretty uneventful. Our challenge is just not to get disanimado and keep working. It is the test that we face. Its hard work. Its the hardest thing I've ever done.  I trust in my Savior and I know that he will help me. 

Id like to share a few scriptures that really impacted me this week. These are some teachings from our Savior at the last supper. 

Chapter 13
 33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
 34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
 35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Chapter 14
 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Chapter 16
 28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.
 32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
 33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

When I read these things I can’t refrain from tearing up. I am so grateful for our Saviors sacrifice for us. He has overcome the world. If we follow him we can surely find peace and comfort in this life. 
I am grateful for the opportunity to be here in Chile at this time. I am so grateful for these tests. I know I am growing and I know that weak things can become strong if we allow God to help us. 
Thank you for all that you do. I love all of you so very much. I am so excited to talk with you this Sunday. 


Elder Ethan Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment