Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Week 49

 Parral/Linares Zone Conference in August




Wow, my entire world got flipped around this week. Sometimes I have these weeks in the mission where so much has happened and so much has changed that a typed letter cannot possibly contain the least bit of the details. So, I'm going to type like a mad man to get all the details that I can in. Warning, this may be a long letter.

So, we got the news Monday morning and I got right up and packed up all my stuff. We went to Parral to go shopping and to go to the cyber cafe and write letters. After we returned, we went right out to say my goodbyes. We took the bikes from the Sepulveda family and rode around Retiro for the last time like mad men. Through the day I was able to say goodbye to almost everyone.

- The Sepulveda's
- Nancy and Juan
- Eliana
- German
- Sandra and Jose Retamal Bravo
- The Perez Cerna Family
- Verania
- The Saldaña's
- The Abarzua's
- Miriam and Estefania
- and finally the Uribe's

 Last goodbyes with the Uribes outside our house


I’ll just say that it was a very emotional day for me. It was extremely hard to say goodbye to everyone after being there for so long. A couple of them we just cried together for a few minutes. It was hard, but I know I will see them again. I love Retiro. It has been the hardest 6 months of my life, and I have really grown up. I feel like I learned enough for a lifetime there. I will never forget the experiences there. The main lessons I learned there were:

- Obedience is POWER. It shapes our life and it controls our happiness. It even affects our mood and appearance. Diligence and obedience play huge parts in every part of life and if we obey and if we are diligent, we will never be lost or left alone.
- The love for others is a huge part of the work of salvation, without charity we are nothing.
- We always have to be optimists. No matter what happens we need to smile, laugh, and keep going.

The next morning I was up and off to Chillán. I had no idea what to expect, but I was just beaming with gratitude for a new start. Quickly we got to the terminal and I got off, grabbed my stuff and greeted my new comp, Elder Bird. He is tall, really skinny, and has bright red hair with nearly clear eyes. We walked and talked as we traveled to the nearest bus stop and waited. We took a bus, got to the house and I started to unpack a bit. Soon enough the other elders got back. Elder Sanábria from Columbia and Elder Vasquez from Mexico are the other elders that are in Coyquen with us. E Vasquez got changed here with me and we are now trying to learn the sectors.

Let me just tell you that my mission has been like the path of Nephi's Journey to the promised land. I feel like I’ve been wading through the wilderness and crossing the sea for a long time now. When I got here in Coyquen I felt like I arrived in the promised land.

Coyquen is huge. I cannot tell you how overwhelming it is. It’s about 6x the size of Retiro. I was so accustomed to a small sector and a lazy people. I am on the complete opposite end now! It is a massive sector, massive ward, in a very upbeat-positive-willing to work atmosphere. Seriously, the ward right now is exploding. Church attendance is maxing out the chapel capacity. There is a lot of progress and a lot of good things happening right now.

I feel so good to be with another companionship now. It felt so lonely in Retiro at times just being the two of us. The house we live in is really small. It’s the simplest house you can have for 4 elders. We are going to clean the house and next week I will send pictures so you can see what it looks like. Us 4 elders in the house already make a great team, by the end of week one we are all good friends. This cambio is going to be a blast.

Elder Bird is a cool guy. He grew up in Washington, near Seattle and moved to Idaho right before he left for his mission. He is 21 years old. He is a lot more serious than I am, but still has a good sense of humor. He gets things done and works hard. Is a straight forward cut to the quick kind of a guy, it’s great. We are going to be good friends. He has been in the mission for a month and a half less than I have. (about 9 or 10 months.)

Elder Sanábria is a crazy and enthusiastic Colombian. He’s got fair skin, he is 20 years old (I think) and Has 10 months in the mission. He’s really short but compensates that for his personality. He loves Rubik's cubes. He has his own phrases like ''Para que voy a mentir?'' (why am I going to lie) and ''Alli no mas!'' (that’s about it) in his own special voice. He has a good way with people, and is really outgoing. I am going to learn a lot from him. He got to Coyquen with Elder Bird and they have both been here for like 3 months or so.

Elder Vasquez is a really chill Mexican. He has dark skin, and grew up in Mexico City. He is 24 years old and has 4 months in his mission. If I were to describe his personality in any way, I would say that he is just a SUPER chill guy. He is kind and respectful, with the wittiest sayings and jokes you could ever hear. When he says ''Imaginase'' (can you imagine) after a comment it makes me laugh for a good few minutes. He is going to be a good friend of mine. He brings a lot of laughs to the house.

There are also Hermanas in the sector, Hermana Richards from Texas, and Hermana Tellez from Bolivia. In total, we are six missionaries.

The members here are AMAZING. I already am getting to know them pretty well. I don't know very many because there are so many but, the ones I already have met are awesome. It will be so good to work with them. Nearly all of them are more than willing to go out and work with us. That is incredible to me. I haven't seen missionary work this brilliant and effective in my entire mission.

One of the families that I am coming to be friends with is the Vergara family. The parents Gina, and Christian were baptized just 2-3 months ago, two of their kids Felipe-17 and Constanza-14 were just baptized last weekend. The other two kids Cristian-19 and Sayeññ-10 haven't been baptized yet. Sayeññ has a baptismal date for this weekend, as well as another investigator named Eugenia. My first baptisms in nearly 9 months will be this weekend! Woooo! But the Vergara's are incredible. They are a family that no doubt will become some of my greatest friends.

 This morning Felipe Vergara helped us learn "La Cueca" (the Chilean national dance) - Elder Bird is seated on the left, Felipe, Elder Sanabria, and Elder Vasquez on the right.

Throughout the whole week, we went around and met a lot of people. I got to know all of the investigators, CR's (recent converts) and MA's (less actives). I am still so lost due to the giant sector that I am in, but I am so content to be in such a marvelous place.  I don't have much else to describe other than that because I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around everything.

In district class this last Wednesday, I realized how much time I have in the mission. Everyone presented themselves and I realized that I am one of the oldest here, time wise in the mission. It is insane to me how fast time has gone by.

I'm a lot more happy now, and I'm smiling and laughing a lot more than I have been in a while. I feel like life is going good.

All week long my confidence was boosted like never before. All I heard this week is ''Elder, you speak Spanish very well!! How much time do you have in the mission?'' I am realizing that Spanish is no problem for me now. Once, my biggest test has now become my strongest point. The members complimented me up and down this week. We all got along very well. I was not used to that or expecting that. I haven't heard anything like that in a long time.

This week will be lots of fun now that I have an idea of where I am. It is a blessing to be in Coyquen.

Quick invitation to the family. (and friends)

A week ago, Elder Bednar spoke at BYU educational week. His talk was very special and I find it very interesting. I want to invite you all to download it watch it and talk about it. It’s something that we all need to apply in these times that we live in. Maybe you could watch it for a FHE and talk about it. I think that would be cool. It is a way that we all can be part of missionary work! Here it is:


The video is downloadable.

I am so grateful for the blessings that are coming. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and Savior. I know they live and watch over us. I hope you all had a good week and hope this week is good for you too. It was good hearing from all of you. See ya next week! Love you and miss you tons.

Elder Ethan Haws

 Chillan at night



No comments:

Post a Comment