Monday, June 9, 2014

Week 36

This week was pretty interesting. It was the last week of the cambio (transfer). We took it like any other week. I feel like all the time I’ve been here in Retiro, the Lord has been playing a game of 'Uncle' with me. That one where one person twists another's arm till they can’t take it and give up saying ''Uncle!'' That is what it has come to this week. The Lord is giving me all I can take. It is the refiner’s fire.

I don't have my agenda with me because we got haircuts before coming here and I forgot to grab it. It’s going to be a shorter letter but I’ll fill you in on the big stuff that happened this week.

Basically what we have been struggling with here is the relationship between the members and their personal testimonies. We had tons of appointments with members this week and all they could talk about was how they didn't get along with people in the branch, or how they don't like how some things are done or how things should be better. It built up all week long.

We had the help of Pancho from Parral again for Monday and Tuesday. We went and visited our only investigators Bernarda Fuentes and her family on Monday. We had a good lesson and we found some pretty good common ground, but in the end when we recommitted her to baptism she told us straight up that she doesn't want to change or accept anything like that. She hasn't done anything with the commitments so we have had to back off once again. We went to go visit other members and less actives. We were able to visit hermana Gladys and her family. Turns out her husband isn't a member and was really friendly to us. We were excited realizing that they are an incomplete family. We want to put more focus on those families this coming week. We talked with many possible future investigators and had lots of people to contact, but incredibly nothing really gave this week, the only successes we saw this week were with members.

Like I said the groaning and complaining piled up through the week, we got to Saturday night and were invited to a family home evening with Miriam and Estefania. They also invited the Campos family as well. Sadly, we were a little late getting there because we were in another visit. When we got there Estefania was ready to kill us because we were late. She accused us of not remembering and gave us a nasty glare while we explained. We sat down and began to converse. Again, the discussion about the branch came up. They expressed their doubts and troubles, and I had had enough. I stopped everyone and started sharing a message. We talked about the savior and what he taught. We showed videos of his life and talked about forgiveness and the atonement. In the end I was crying and almost everyone else was too. It was powerful just following the prompting of the spirit, and watching the power coming out of my words from the spirit. I was saying things without thinking. It was amazing. We felt good and closed with our testimonies. Then we had a huge buffet of sopaipillas, hot dogs, and all kinds of chips. It was a good night and I felt better from the week that we had. It was nice to just bajar la caƱa (lower the cane!) and get a few words in and bear fervent testimony of the Savior.

That lesson and all the experiences throughout the week really got my attention. I thought a lot this week....

Family, Friends... Are we converted? Are our testimonies burning? If something happens like a trial or something goes wrong, will we fall? Are we prepared to stand to the end and defend our faith for the right reasons? Do we live what we believe? Do we really believe in the doctrines of the gospel of Jesus Christ?

I would like to share some things from the topic of ''conversion'' from the church website. It says:

''Conversion includes a change in behavior, but it goes beyond behavior; it is a change in our very nature. It is such a significant change that the Lord and His prophets refer to it as a rebirth, a change of heart, and a baptism of fire. The Lord said:

“Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;

“And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God” (Mosiah 27:25–26).

Conversion is a process, not an event. Conversion comes as a result of righteous efforts to follow the Savior. These efforts include exercising faith in Jesus Christ, repenting of sin, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end in faith.

Although conversion is miraculous and life changing, it is a quiet miracle. Angelic visitations and other spectacular occurrences do not bring conversion. Even Alma, who saw an angel, became converted only after he “fasted and prayed many days” for a witness of the truth (Alma 5:46).

King Benjamin's people declared, “The Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually” (Mosiah 5:2).''

I have a testimony of the importance of conversion, Prophets and Apostles. I know that it is the way, and a source of happiness in this life. Opposition will SURELY come. We will need to be prepared to stand up. I love the counsel from Elder Neil L. Anderson,

''Build more firmly your foundation upon the rock of your Redeemer. Treasure more completely His incomparable life and teachings. Follow more diligently His example and His commandments. Embrace more deeply His love, His mercy and grace, and the powerful gifts of His Atonement. As you do, I promise you that you will see the whirlwinds for what they are—tests, temptations, distractions, or challenges to help you grow. And as you live righteously year after year, I assure you that your experiences will confirm to you again and again that Jesus is the Christ. The spiritual rock under your feet will be solid and secure. You will rejoice that God has placed you here to be a part of the final preparations for Christ’s glorious return.''

I am grateful for my testimony. I am grateful for all that I have in this life. I am so thankful for all of you. Thank you for all that you do. I love you so much and am so grateful for your concern and support.

This morning we received news about transfers. Elder Price is leaving to the zone Chiguayante. He will be senior companion. As for me, Elder Martinez from Mexico is coming here. I am going to be Senior companion. It’s going to be great getting to know him and having the chance to lead the sector. It’s crazy to say but I will not speak English for a very long time now! Exciting things!

Love you all so much. I miss you! I hope you guys have a great week! Until the next!


Elder Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment