Sunday, January 12, 2014

Week 15

January 6, 2015

Thanks everyone once again for all your letters and messages. I am so grateful for each and every one of you.  You really are one of the reasons I can hold up through some of the tough times. You brighten up every start of the week. I love each and every one of you and I miss you all so much. It’s still so crazy to me that I’m actually in Chile. It just blows my mind sometimes. This week I kept on thinking how much of a blessing it is to be here. I couldn’t be more grateful for this opportunity to serve in this amazing country.

This week was really good. Wow, we worked so hard. I am amazed at the blessings we have received and the moments Elder Layton and I have experienced.

On Monday, we were tired of just not having any quality investigators. We have been longing for some people who have been prepared to hear the gospel. We started off the week on a good foot. We committed to talk to EVERYONE. With no exception to who they were and if they were in a hurry or not. We worked so hard on Monday afternoon. We contacted and contacted and contacted. Eventually we had quite a list of people to visit. Throughout the day we met a ton of people. We were finishing up a bit, and were looking for a few more people when a lady and her 14 year old son were walking down one of the streets in A (Las Carerras). We stopped and talked to them and they were amazingly receptive. We asked if they could spare a few minutes and let us share a quick message. The Mom, Andrea, asked her son Marcello if they had anything planned or anything going on, and when they couldn’t think of anything, they accepted. We asked where they lived and they pointed to the house we were standing in front of. We were let in, and we had and amazing lesson. The spirit was able to testify of the simple truths of the Restoration. We invited them to baptism and they accepted to prepare. They strongly committed to go to church, read, and to pray about the gospel. It was quite eye opening for me because they are the first people I have met here that have accepted to do something firmly like that. I am so excited for this family that we met.

We also found this older couple up on the hill of Buena Vista. Their names are Rosa and Armando. They’re about in their 60s and they have great faith. Armando is always super committed to read the pamphlets and live up to commitments as well. He’s getting older and he’s been pretty sick. He has to carry around his oxygen tank and can’t walk much but he’s a great guy. Rosa is pretty quiet but she’s really nice and respectful too. When we first met Armando, we were looking for Rosa. It was New Year’s day and when we contacted the house, he stuck his head out the window wearing a masquerade mask and a hat and a fake plastic tie. It was pretty funny. He just likes to enjoy life and be happy. He’s a great example. One lesson this week, we took Ignacio to help us teach. Man, that kid has a great testimony. I am amazed at what he has learned and the brightness the gospel has brought into his life. He has a valiant testimony. He is an example to me.

Forest fire

Three days ago, a huge forest fire started in the back hills in Nonguen. It’s been raging for days. It’s now just barely getting calmed down. It gave all the people in the sector a nice scare. It looked just like one of the Herriman fires, so it was more of a taste of home for me. Saturday was completely orange because of the smoke in the air. Everything looked orange. It was pretty cool.

This week had its good times. Elder Layton and I are becoming good friends. He really teaches me a ton about life every day. We have hilarious conversations and we are working great as a team. He is super intelligent. I love to hear his perspectives and insights. I really feel like I can accomplish anything I need too with enough determination and faith. I am full of ideas and goals I want to accomplish. Fun things to do and to work on. We are becoming best friends, Elder Layton is a huge example to me.

I’m grateful for the chance that I have had to get to know so many new and amazing people. The people around me are all so inspiring. Truly, I am surrounded by heroes and spiritual giants. It is such a blessing to be here and learn so much about life, the gospel, and everything else you could even think of.

I am anxious to work and do the best I can. I want to be so much better. This last week I have thought and thought about how I can be doing a better job out here as a servant of the Lord.  I feel like I can do a lot better. But all I can do is rely on the Lord to shape me into what I must be. I only have to give my time to him, and let him direct my paths. I rely solely on my Heavenly Father, and my Savior Jesus Christ. Without them I wouldn’t be here. I constantly feel their love and their love for the people that I am serving. They are real. They live. They love us. They want the best for us. No matter how hard things are or how great things are, they are there to share with us those moments. I am so grateful for the knowledge that they live and they know us.

I’m so excited to start this next week. Elder Layton and I had a good one this week. We worked so hard. We went from having practically no progressing investigators to having quite a few. We have been able to find a lot of prepared people. I am grateful for the hand of our Heavenly Father and our Savior in all of our lives.  We are so excited to work and bring the gospel into people’s lives. We have so many possibilities and I have a growing testimony of working through the spirit. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be here in Chile with these amazing people. It’s a huge blessing for me to learn be among them.

I am so grateful for all of you and all of your examples. I love all of you more that you can know. You are all inspiration for me. I miss you all and love you so much. Until next week!

Elder Ethan Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment